I have been looking around the net for researching some of the factors in what impacts ASO (App Store Optimization) and SEO (Search Engine Optimisation with the Google Play store and the Apple App Store.
Google Play Store
Google Play takes into account the keywords in the description and uses this as a basis to rank the app. I have searched for “london bus times app” as I have also done below for the app store, but we can see SEO plays a role here too in still giving keyword relevancy of writing the title and description.
Optimising the page
- Put your main keyword in your App Title which can assist towards being found in Google Search too.
- Include your keyword around 5 times in your app description as the description is searchable on the Google Play Store and this can affect the app position.
- Ensure good looking graphics • Ensure the content is presented well by is breaking the content down with sub headings to make content easier to read.
- Get good reviews
The description in the Apple app store has no impact from an ASO view. Instead it pays more attention to the keyword field to complete.
However from an SEO point of view the description in the app is vital as the because iTunes pages are indexed in Google search so for example in Google search I searched for “London bus times app” and it showed me this as the top result which shows that SEO is important here to optimise the app title and description to be relevant for organic search results.
Optimising the page
- The App title is the most important factor in ASO ranking. This is the same as the title tag in SEO which provides most relevance to what the app is about.
- The description tag should be 1-2 sentences to describe the app.
- Optimise your app with the keywords field which you should focus on relevancy, search volume and difficulty. Don’t repeat keywords used in the title of the post, but include the secondary importance keywords in the keywords field and separate the keywords with a comma.
- Well-presented content with line spacing to make content easy to read.
When writing your app description, whether on IPhone or Android, it’s good to put your best content at the beginning of the description to capture people’s attention and get possibility of an app conversion. Ratings Getting good ratings for your app can get you listed higher in ASO.18th of September 2014 By Simon